Sunday, July 17, 2011

Old-fashioned respect.....

I always try to treat my patients with respect, no matter who they are or what their story is. Sometimes this is difficult - such as the repeat drunk who comes in regularly in withdrawal, people in police custody etc. These people do create judgemental thoughts on our part, even though we try not to. I had a student placement in a jail, and it made me realise that they are all just people. Sure, they've done the wrong thing, but they are still people. We don't know how they got there, we don't know why the drinker drinks to excess. It does not make them any less worthy of our attention and respect than any other person. In giving them this respect, we hope that we can make a small difference to them. They might not know how to address their issues, and by creating trust and respect we might be able to crack the surface and offer some assistance without it being rejected.



I've noticed a few strange looks from other staff when I address patients by their surname - ie Mrs A, Mr B etc. Part of this is because in a small town, everyone knows everyone, and are often on a first name basis. I've noticed that many of my colleagues seem to know the "business" of a lot of patients, and will make judgement calls based on this. I don't believe this is appropriate, as the hospital environment is a very intimate setting, where the patient is very vulnerable, and what has happened on teh "outside" is generally not relevant to our provision of care. Being from elsewhere, I do not know these people, most of them I've never met before, and so I address them more formally until we are more comfortable with each other. I feel that this is important to create the necessary trust in me - it's a small gesture of respect that gives them the idea that I don't just think of them as "another patient," I see them as a person worthy of my attention, and that they are in control. Another facet is that most of them are older than I am, and I have been raised to respect my elders. I grew up calling adults by their surnames until I was given permission otherwise.

I believe this is also a part of my issues with some of the other nursing staff. Many of my colleagues are of a similar age to my own parents, and I find it extremely difficult to "talk back" to them. While they might be assertive, even aggressive, with me, I simply cannot return it - it's not part of my make up at all. Some of them, I think, have picked up on this and do push the limits of what's acceptable at times. This has been one of the most difficult aspects of working as a new RN - I am now apparently "in charge" of people who are my elders, and have 30 or 40 years nursing experience as ENs. Legally speaking, it's my butt on the line even if they make an error. Yikes. And I seem to get all the paperwork......blergh. But I am pleased to say that there are some wonderful staff who have really helped me out in some tough situations, and my thanks to them.


So please remember this:

No comments:

Post a Comment